Why You Receive Prenatal Massage
The expanding popularity of prenatal massage is a result of the modern tendency to increase levels of well-being, education and opportunity. Your growing and changing shape is one of nature’s most incredible occurrences. Knowledgeable pregnancy massage therapists can help you gain the most from this treatment.
Importantly, the prenatal period can be a very stressful physical and emotional time for a mother-to-be. Proper management of stress itself is of great consequence. Clearly documented evidence exists to suggest that very high levels of stress may increase the probability of pre-term labor and lower birth weight of the newborn.
Prenatal massage by a professional offers numerous benefits including but not limited to:
- Creates a positive environment of wonderful relaxation and soothing stress relief
- Promotes proper postural maintenance to ease physical stress
- Provides relief from musculoskeletal strain, aches and pains, muscle spasms and cramps
- Increases circulation of the blood & lymph
- Reduces edema and blood pressure through promoting better blood circulation.
- Increases blood and lymph circulation for increased toxins elimination and immune system funtioning.
- Affords welcome release from chronic tension in the neck, shoulders, lower back, abdomen and thighs
- Eases childbirth by preparing the muscles used in childbirth
- Actively aids in reducing fluid retention, swelling in hands and feet, headaches and sinus problems as well as digestive irregularities.
- Helps you to sleep better while reducing fatigue and discomfort caused by physical and emotional stresses. Energy levels and mental alertness increase.
Why is Back Pain so Prevalent?
As your pregnancy advances, several common conditions usually occur.
- You will gain weight. Weight gain is normal and good for your baby, however, it can sorely stress your back muscles.
- The structures that support your pelvic organs will become more pliant due to hormonal changes, which are naturally intended to prepare your body to give birth. You may experience considerable discomfort in either side of your back as a result.
- At the same time, your body’s centre of gravity is shifting forward. Your natural tendency is to adjust your posture and the way you move about in everyday activity. Back strain is often the result of this natural change in posture.
- As your body adjusts to the tremendous physical and emotional changes taking place in your routine, everyday tasks can lead to incorrect lifting or awkward muscle stretches, which can themselves, become minor injuries and part of back, neck and shoulder pain.
The Prenatal Massage Process
As in most massage therapy, you will fill out a medical history form complete with disclosure of any conditions or complications, which have arisen in the past or as a result of the pregnancy. Together, you and the therapist will execute a treatment strategy that will effectively deal with the conditions you request relief from or help with. This could include exercises you can perform while at home. Your treatment plan will vary according to which trimester you are in.
In general, your pregnancy massage will involve sitting in a slightly reclined position or lying comfortably on your side; the use of pillows to increases your relaxation and comfort. My goal is always to customize your therapy to conditions you wish to alleviate or promote.
The type and amount of clothing you wear during massage is your personal choice. Your comfort is paramount. Your body will always be draped or covered other than only that part being gently massaged at the moment. Be comfortable-relax-and enjoy!
Visit my Appointment page to book a session.
Related Massage Therapy – Postpartum Massage
It is time for your body to heal itself, restore most organs and musculature to pre-pregnancy status and recover from the birth process in general. Almost universally practiced and accepted in most cultures in the world, is the practice of massage to aid in post pregnancy recovery and relaxation. Postpartum massage therapy benefits may include:
- Wonderful relief from aches, pains and muscle soreness
- Helps shrink the uterus and speed recovery through abdominal massage
- Soothing comfort and clearing of unhealthy tensions, stress and symptoms of postpartum blues
- Provides a ‘quiet time’ with healing hands specifically trained to relax and invigorate your recovery process
- Instruction on appropriate exercises designed to return your body to pre-pregnancy condition.
Pregnancy is one of the most exciting parts of a person’s life. After all, you’re starting your family, or you’ll have someone joining your family soon.
Pregnancy comes with a lot of sore muscles and pain too. There could be cramping, usually in the legs as you support the weight of the baby, or even back pains. The best way to ease this pain is by getting a prenatal massage.
A prenatal massage is a specialized full body massage performed by a specific therapist. They are trained to give you a massage with you and your baby’s safety in mind. The massage is done in a unique position to keep you and the baby safe.
Here at Dynamic Massage, we have specialized therapists that can give you a prenatal massage. Take a look as to why you should get one.
Reduces swelling of your joints
Swelling, usually on the hands and feet, is a natural occurrence for women while they’re pregnant. This is usually caused by low blood circulation and pressure on your vessels. A massage can help stimulate your muscles and soft tissues to release the build-up of fluids in swollen joints. It not only eases the pain but also removes tissue waste in the body.
Improve sleep quality
All the stress, pain and sore muscles brought about by pregnancy can affect your sleep and your health in several ways. Getting a massage will help to make you feel relaxed and release feel-good hormones in your body to help you sleep better.
Getting enough sleep is important especially for those who are pregnant to make sure you and your baby are healthy.
Reduces muscle pains and cramps
One of the most common things pregnant women experience is muscle pains and cramps. These usually occur due to muscle tension. With the right massage, it will help ease the pain and soreness your body is feeling.
Reduces nerve pain
Many women experience sciatic nerve pain usually in the lower back and pelvic area. This usually happens because the uterus rests on the muscles in those areas. This then causes pressure to the upper and lower leg muscles which can result in swelling.
Prenatal massages can help release the tensions they’re feeling in these muscles and lessen the pain they’re feeling.
These are only some of the benefits of getting a prenatal massage. Health centres are now advising women to get prenatal massages during pregnancy. Others even have the massages available because of the many benefits they can bring to pregnant women.
Take note though that prenatal massage can’t be done just by anyone. It takes qualified therapists to do a prenatal massage. It’s a massage that specialists extensively learn to do to make sure you and your baby are safe during the massage.
Prenatal massage is an important step during your pregnancy. Make sure that you’re able to look for a qualified therapist who specializes in this type of massage as early as possible so that they can help you ease most of the pain you feel during pregnancy.